Rosebud's Friends

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Smoothie Splendor



I have been dreaming about a particular kitchen appliance for months now, and last week my wish came true. A Vitamix arrived for my birthday!! The Vitamix is basically a blender on steroids. It can crush anything you throw at it in a matter of seconds. Bill and I have been experimenting with a number of blended combinations and I am going to add my favourite recipes as we discover them. Today I have three to share, but considering two of my three meals per day are now consisting of these delicious smoothies I am sure there will be more to come in the very near future. The Vitamix is great because, unlike juicing, you don't loose the pulp/flesh and can therefore benefit from all the wonderful fibre. Furthermore, there is no wastage! I can put the whole fruit or vegetable into the blender and its smooth as silk in a few seconds. I'm in love!

Smoothie #1 - Harvest Pear
2 pears (stemmed and pitted)
1 apple (stemmed and pitted)
1/4 avocado
1/2 cup spinach
1/4 cup natural coconut water (make sure to check the ingredients - you want unsweetened all natural coconut water)
1 tsp of coconut oil
1 tbsp chia or salba seeds
1 tbsp USANA Fibergy
dash of pure vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
2 small packets of stevia (or to your taste)
1/2 cup of ice (I like my smoothies really frozen - you can omit this if you like it more juicy)

Smoothie #2 - Melonberry Mojito
1 pear (stemmed and pitted)
1 cup of watermelon
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
1/4 cup frozen mango
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup kale
1/3 cup coconut water
10 fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 small packets of stevia
1/4 cup of ice

Smoothie #3 - Rosebuds Super Smoothie
1/2 cup cooked beets (On Sunday I baked a bunch of beets - just peel and seal in tinfoil - then bake @ 400 for 45 min (or until fork tender))
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
1/4 cup of carrot
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup kale
1/4 cup frozen banana
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp ground flax seed
2 tsp USANA Optomega (this organic oil blend is THE best - flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, pumpkin seed oil, extra virgin olive oil, rosemary leaf, turmeric)
2 small packets of stevia
1/4 cup of ice

So, there you go!! This blender has really helped me a) increase my fruit and vegetable intake b) reduce the amount of rotten/wasted vegetables I throw away (this used to make me really sad) and c) increase my arsenal of healthy breakfast options!

Please leave me a comment if you have any other great smoothie suggestions..
xo
Rosebud






No comments:

Post a Comment