Rosebud's Friends

Monday, February 7, 2011

Ultimate Granola



I am always a little unsure when I eat store-bought granola. I think that commercial brands have loads of sugar and fat and it takes away from the wholesome goodness of the cereal.

I don't know about you but I could eat granola for every meal - one day I actually did! It was a cold winter day and I remember my dad and brother heading off to a hockey tournament. My mum and I took this as our opportunity to drink tea, eat granola and read books all day long... The best type of pajama party.

5 cups organic rolled oatmeal
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup pecans (already chopped is fine)
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 cup cashews
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup salted sunflower seeds
1 cup salted toasted pumpkin seeds
1 cup whole almonds chopped
1 cup peanuts

1) Stir all these ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

2) In a glass pirex large measuring cup add 1/2 cup canola oil and 3/4 cup of liquid honey

3) Put in microwave for 2 minutes (it will be boiling when it comes out - be careful!)

4) Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.

5) Spread on large baking sheets (2-3) lined with parchment paper

6) Bake in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes then rotate mixture on pans so they don't get too brown, then bake for another 10 minutes.

7) Place warm granola in large mixing bowl and add dried cranberries/dried cherries/blueberries/apricots-really any fruit you like.

ENJOY.. I love this on vanilla greek yoghurt!


No comments:

Post a Comment